Round Rock ranks among safest cities in America
From being named one of the most family friendly places to live, to topping lists of the most recession proof cities and best Minor League baseball towns, Round Rock is no stranger to accolades. Still, when it comes to what we consider most important, the safety of our community is always at the top of the list.
Published in April, the 2022 edition of Smart Asset’s Safest Cities study ranks Round Rock as the No. 14 safest city in America — one of 8 Texas cities to make the list.
To find the safest cities, SmartAsset compared 200 of the largest U.S. cities across the following metrics:
- Violent crime rate. The number of violent crimes per 100,000 residents.
- Property crime rate. The number of property crimes per 100,000 residents.
- Vehicular mortality rate. The number of deaths due to traffic accidents per 100,000 residents.
- Drug poisoning mortality rate. The number of drug poisoning deaths per 100,000 residents.
- Percentage of the population engaging in excessive drinking. The percentage of adults who consumed more than four drinks of alcohol for women or five drinks of alcohol for men on a single occasion over a 30-day period, or who engage in heavy drinking, which is defined as drinking more than one drink per day for women or two drinks a day for men on average. Data comes from countyhealthrankings.org and is for 2021.
The vehicular mortality rate, drug poisoning mortality rate and percentage of the population engaging in excessive drinking were all measured at the county level. Violent and property crime rates were measured at the city level.
Full study methodology can be found online: https://smartasset.com/data-studies/safest-cities-in-america-2022.
Source: City of Round Rock