Lunch & Learn Sept. 13: Round Rock’s Old Town
The September 13 Lunch and Learn sponsored by Round Rock Preservation and the city’s Planning and Development Services Department presented the architecture and history of Old Town, Round Rock’s original settlement that grew around where a stagecoach route crossed Brushy Creek. Several attendees asked for copies of slides and references, which are posted below.
Old Town slides (pdf)
Organizations referenced in the discussion:
Round Rock Preservation
Williamson County Historical Commission Cemetery Restoration Volunteers facebook page
Round Rock Cemetery Association
- Karen R. Thompson and Jane DiGesualdo. Historical Round Rock Texas. Nortex Press, a division of Eakin Publications, 1985.
- ___. The Chisholm Trail: Exploring the Folklore and Legacy. Texas Historical Commission, 2017.
- ___. Sketch of Col. Cooke’s Military Road expedition from Red River to Austin. Articles from the Texas General Land Office Save Texas History Program, April 16, 2018. https://medium.com/save-texas-history/sketch-of-col-cookes-military-road-expedition-from-red-river-to-austin-d7f94016963d
- Bob Brinkman. Images of America: Round Rock. Arcadia Publishing, 2008.
- Morris L. Britton, “Military Road,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 14, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/military-road
- Steven A. Brownrigg, “Cooke, William Gordon,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 14, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cooke-william-gordon
- Seymour V. Connor, “Harrell, Jacob M.,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 14, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/harrell-jacob-m
- Howard J. Erlichman. Camino del Norte: How a Series of Watering holes, Fords, and Dirt Trails Evolved into Interstate 35 in Texas. Texas A&M University Press, 2006.
- Virginia Savage McAlester. A Field Guide to American Houses: The Definitive Guide to Identifying and Understanding America’s Domestic Architecture. Second Edition. Borzoi Books, 2014.
- Clara Stearns Scarbrough. Land of Good Water, Takachue Pouetsu, A Williamson County , Texas, History. Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973.
- Linda Scarbrough. Road, River, and Ol’ Boy Politics: a Texas County’s Path from Farm to Supersuburb. Texas State Historical Association, 2005.
Source: City of Round Rock